Slow Cooker Chicken and Chickpea Masala
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 24 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- 2 serrano chile peppers, deseeded and minced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
For best results, we recommend using:
- Season chicken with cumin, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Stir chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, chicken stock, serrano peppers, garlic, garam masala, 1 teaspoon salt, and ginger together in the crock of a slow cooker; add seasoned chicken and press into tomato mixture to submerge.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from the cooker and cut into chunks.
- Stir coconut milk into the sauce remaining in the cooker.
- Divide rice between four plates. Top rice with chicken. Spoon sauce over the chicken and rice; garnish with cilantro to serve.
Substitute tofu and vegetable broth for the chicken and chicken broth for a vegetarian version.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This chicken and chickpea masala was delicious. I usually put it on in the morning, run my errands, and then before long it's ready to go. Perfect for serving with rice and naan bread.
Katie Hason says:
This was really good! I veganized mine and took out the chicken, and used vegetable stock. This is a hit at my house!