Slow Cooker Beef Pho
- 9 cups water
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thick
- ¼ cup minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 pounds beef marrow bones, rinsed
- 1 (1 pound) beef chuck roast
- 8 ounces Maifun rice noodles
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) top round beef steak, chilled in freezer for 15 minutes
- 1 cup bean sprouts, or to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh cilantro, or to taste
- 8 mint leaves, or to taste
- 2 serrano chile peppers, sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 4 heads baby bok choy, halved lengthwise
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Stir water, onion, ginger, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, and kosher salt together in the crock of your slow cooker; add beef marrow bones and chuck roast.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Remove roast from the pot to a large bowl; add enough warm water to cover roast completely and soak for 10 minutes. Drain water and break beef into chunks.
- Soak rice noodles in hot water until softened and pliable, about 8 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking process.
- Drain liquid from cooker into a separate pot through a fine-mesh strainer; discard solids. Stir sugar and fish sauce into the broth. Bring liquid to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Remove steak from freezer and slice very thinly across the grain.
- Divide noodles between four soup bowls. Top noodles with steak slices, beef chunks, bean sprouts, cilantro, mint, scallions, red onion, and bok choy; garnish with pepper. Ladle broth into bowls to serve.
Try adding mushrooms for a nice earthy flavor or carrots for color and crunch.
What others are saying
Rebecca Williams-Capps says:
Taste very good! Super easy recipe to follow. Will definitely make again.
Jessica Scott says:
This slow cooker beef pho is perfect for chilly days. My husband and I like to put it on in the morning, and by the evening it's ready to go. All the flavors are incredible, especially with the beef marrow bones.
Sam Dalton says:
This slow cooker beef pho was amazing. Perfect hangover soup, perfect cold weather soup, just a all around good soup. Love the baby bok chop, onion, and peppers. Very good.