No-Fry "Fried Chicken"
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- ¾ cup crushed panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Assure you have an oven rack in the center position and a second rack in the top position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine mustard, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, and pepper in a large resealable bag; massage the bag to mix together. Add drumsticks to the bag, seal, and toss chicken with the mustard mixture to coat.
- Mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese together in a shallow bowl. Dredge chicken in the panko mixture to coat, tapping lightly to allow excess crumbs to fall away.
- Arrange drumsticks onto the prepared baking sheet at least two inches apart.
- Roast on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Move sheet to the top rack and continue roasting until golden brown and juices run clear, about 25 minutes more. Let drumsticks cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours if you want the mustard and spices to feature more prominently in the flavors of this dish. For super tender chicken, marinate it in buttermilk seasoned with a little salt for up to 24 hours before baking.
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
crispy, crunchy, and so perfectly juicy inside! will make again.
Katie Hason says:
This no-fry fried chicken is so good! I absolutely love it! The spicy brown mustard and panko bread crumbs give this chicken great taste and crunch.
Jessica Scott says:
Guilt free fried chicken! Yes! This is finger licking good. My boys couldn't get enough! Definitely on our weekly rotation.
Greg Jones says:
This fried chicken is like the real thing, but without the oil. The garlic, onion, and thyme seasoning gives the chicken good flavor. It's also really easy to make. I let it marinate for a few hours and then put them in the oven. Also a big hit with the kids.
Stephanie D says:
We used a seasoned salt and Creole-style mustard for this recipe. Much healthier than frying food in oil. The panko bread crumbs were perfect. Easy and kid friendly!