Huevos a la Mexicana con Frijoles (Mexican Eggs with Beans)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can refried black beans
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ onion, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ serrano (or jalapeño) pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Warm beans in a small saucepan over medium-low heat while you prepare the eggs.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-low. Cook and stir onion, tomato, and chili in oil until tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Pour eggs into the skillet and cook, mixing to scramble, until the eggs are no longer moist, 3 to 4 minutes; season with salt and pepper and garnish with cilantro to serve with the beans.
Traditional side dishes for for these eggs include refried beans and warm tortillas. Feel free to add sliced avocado or even a dollop of guacamole to jazz things up a bit!
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
These Mexican eggs and beans are amazing! They are so delicious, and go perfectly with salsa verde. This recipe will definitely take your breakfast game to a new level.
Greg Jones says:
These Mexican eggs are incredible. It will be hard for me to eat plain eggs again after this. Also really good served with black beans. Nice, hearty breakfast.