Zoodles alla Vodka
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- ½ cup half-and-half
- ½ cup fat-free Greek-style yogurt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 5 zucchinis, spiralized using the 5.5mm blade, trimmed into 5-inch pieces
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir shallot and garlic in oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir tomato paste with the shallot and garlic; cook until deep red and starting to stick to the skillet, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vodka into the skillet and cook until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir half-and-half, yogurt, and red pepper flakes with the tomato mixture; season with salt. Cook until the mixture is very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and toss zucchini “noodles” with the sauce to coat; cook until zoodles are tender and the liquid from the zucchini has smoothed the sauce, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Divide zoodles between four bowls; garnish with Parmesan cheese and basil to serve.
Traditionally, vodka sauce is made with heavy cream. Not this one! Enjoy all the flavor with the lower fat content.
What others are saying
Caro Hodgin says:
I am the BIGGEST penne alla vodka lover - but it is loaded with heavy cream. this recipe uses greek yogurt and half and half instead of heavy cream! greek yogurt has tons of protein and makes this sauce sooo creamy with so much less fat and calories. this is going on repeat at my house!
Steve Failows says:
Killer zoodle recipe! the sauce was a delight and super easy to make. I like to add the zoodles to the pan in bunches so some are more cooked than others when eating them, it varies up the texture is a great way.
Sam Akinyele says:
Great way to enjoy pasta without the carbs!
Jessica Scott says:
So delicious! Obsessed with this recipe. Also cooks in less than 30 minutes! Guilt free way to enjoy pasta!
Laura Griffin says:
This sauce is perfect! Such a simple dish but with incredible flavor. I love finding new ways to make zoodles, and this one is definitely at the top of my list.
Kristin Ruzicka says:
Really good sauce. Used 2 huge zucchini, and I probably could have used 2 more with the amount of extra sauce. My kids ate it with regular noodles, but i think it tasted better with zoodles. I also realized that we didn’t have vodka, so we substituted white cooking wine. Still really delicious.
Madison Thompson says:
I LOVE cream pastas but I’m vegan so it makes it so hard! Not to mention not diet friendly because of the butter and oil. But instead of Greek yogurt and half and half I blended silken tofu until super smooth and added that instead!! Almost no fat and LOADED with protein with dish was amazing!
Julie Christensen says:
The sauce was delicious, but I think next time I need to blanch the zoodles. They were a little too crunchy. Also, I failed to cut the zoodles, and that was a huge mistake! Some of them were probably two feet long and that wasn’t easy to eat! I’ll try it again.