Grilled Portobello, Bell Pepper, and Goat Cheese Sandwich
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeds and membrane removed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, halved lengthwise and seeds and membrane removed
- 4 (4 inch) portobello mushroom caps
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 (2 ounce) Kaiser rolls (or homemade bread), split
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Grease grill grates with oil. Prepare a grill pan with cooking spray.
- Stir balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and garlic together in a large mixing bowl. Gently toss red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, and portobello mushrooms in the vinegar mixture.
- Cook bell peppers and mushrooms on hot grill until tender, about 4 minutes per side; remove to a cutting board.
- Slice bell peppers into thin strips. Toss pepper strips with basil, salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread 1 tablespoon goat cheese onto each Kaiser roll half. Lay a mushroom cap onto each roll bottom; top with about ¼ cup bell pepper mixture and top half of roll. Arrange sandwiches on prepared grill pan.
- Place grill pan onto the hot grill. Press sandwiches by placing sandwich presses or a heavy skillet atop the sandwiches. Grill until bread is toasted, about 3 minutes per side.
Portobello mushroom caps are a great vegetarian stand in for meat patties. A nice sear on the grill mimics the charred flavor experience.
What others are saying
Dominique M says:
Made these for some vegetarian friends that came over to my house for a party. Instead of basalmic vinegar I used red wine vinegar to toss the peppers in, it was very flavorful.
Rachel Douglas says:
I used my indoor electrically heated grill to make these portobello sandwiches. I love how quick they were to make. If you like mushrooms, the recipe is a must try. I didn't have any basil, but it didn't feel like anything was missing in terms of flavor. I love the way it turned out.
Laura Griffin says:
This was amazing! If you like mushrooms, you will love this dish. The creamy goat cheese and bell peppers was so good, I'd definitely make this again.
Greg Jones says:
Delicious sandwich! The mushrooms are very aromatic and flavorful. I made it on my indoor grill / panini press, it was super quick and easy..
Sam Dalton says:
These grilled portobello sandwiches were awesome. Not only was it quick to make, but the bell pepper and basil gave it excellent taste. Great vegetarian lunch or dinner meal for weeknights or laid back parties.