Herbed Chicken-Sausage Stuffing
- 1 (16 ounce) loaf whole-wheat ciabatta, torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound sweet Italian chicken sausage, removed from casings
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Spread bread pieces on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven until crisp around the edges but not yet browned about 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage in skillet, stirring to break into small pieces, until completely browned, about 8 minutes; remove to a large bowl.
- Sauté onion and celery in the skillet until tender, about 8 minutes; add to bowl with sausage.
- Mix bread pieces, sage, and thyme with the sausage mixture; add chicken broth and toss until the the liquid is absorbed. Season mixture with salt and pepper; tansfer to a 2-quart baking dish with a lid.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, remove cover, and continue cooking until golden, about 30 minutes.
You can save some time by assembling this dressing the day before serving. Simply extend the baking time to 40 minutes when starting with cold stuffing.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
We are preparing our Thanksgiving menu and decided to test out this stuffing. This was our first time using ciabatta bread and my wife and I both enjoyed it. I most liked the Italian chicken sausage.
Greg Jones says:
I enjoyed this chicken and sausage stuffing. I know most people make it for Thanksgiving, but we will probably make this for Christmas this year too.