Fettuccine Pasta with Bolognese Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- ½ cup diced pancetta
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole plum (or crushed) tomatoes
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound dried fettuccine
- Warm olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook pancetta and onion in hot oil until pancetta is browned, about 2 minutes; add garlic, stir, and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Remove the pancetta mixture with a slotted spoon to a small bowl.
- Break beef and pork into small pieces as you add them to the pot; cook, breaking the meat into small bits, until completely browned, about 5 minutes. Return pancetta mixture to the pot along with the tomatoes, carrots, celery, tomato paste, wine, chicken stock, basil, oregano, bay leaf, salt, and pepper; stir.
- Place a lid on the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer sauce, stirring every 15 minutes to keep meat from searing on bottom of pot, until the sauce is rich and thick, about 90 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook fettuccine at a boil until al dente, 8 to 12 minutes; drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Divide fettuccine between six plates. Ladle Bolognese sauce over the noodles to serve.
Bolognese ragu freezes well for up to three months. Double the batch of sauce and freeze half of it for future dinners and easy entertaining. For a decadent, more authentic experience, buy fresh fettucine from your local gourmet market or pasta shop.
For more recipes made with bolognese, you might enjoy:
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Tried this bolognese recipe and loved it. The white wine, chicken stock, and basil gave it great flavor. Perfect, classic meat sauce that is hearty and delicious. Can't wait to make this again.
Jessica Scott says:
I tried this recipe and it was so yummy. This is probably one of my favorite bolognese recipes! If you're looking for a classic hearty meat sauce with traditional flavor, this is it.