Skillet Cornbread with Cheddar and Chives
- 3 cups cornbread mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1½ cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- 1½ teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ¼ cup honey, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Preheat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet on center rack of oven.
- Stir cornbread mix, eggs, buttermilk, and grapeseed oil together in a large bowl until dry ingredients are completely moistened; add corn, cheese, chives, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder and stir.
- Carefully remove skillet from oven to the stovetop or a trivet. Melt butter in the skillet, swirling to coat cooking surface. Pour cornbread batter into the skillet and smooth into an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cut cornbread into wedges; top with butter and honey to serve.
What others are saying
Erica Schaefer says:
I've had many failed attempts at skillet cornbread, but for once this turned out right. Using the right size skillet makes all the difference in the world too. I used canola oil and skipped the fresh kernels, but other than that kept everything the same. Worked well for me!
Sam Dalton says:
I was hesitant at first adding the corn kernels to this cornbread, but it actually turned out really good. I also really like the garlicky flavors and the roasted red pepper flakes. This is a must try for folks that like corn bread.
Jessica Scott says:
This cornbread came out thick and fluffy! I didn't have grapeseed oil so I used just vegetable oil. If you like savory cornbread you'll love this recipe, very good.
Katie Hason says:
I made this recipe last night in my cast iron and it was so delicious! I don't think I will eat plain cornbread again. Love the cheesy, garlicky flavor.
Greg Jones says:
This was a fantastic skillet cornbread recipe. I loved the added cheddar and chives, it paired perfectly with my famous game day chili.