Baked Hash Browns
- 1-½ pounds russet potatoes, well-scrubbed, unpeeled and spiralized using 2mm blade
- ½ medium yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For best results, we recommend using:
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- After running potatoes through the spiralizer, gently rinse in cold water to remove some of the excess starch. This will help ensure crispiness. Blot lightly with a paper towel to dry.
- Toss the potatoes with the onion, coconut oil, salt, and pepper. Make sure all the potatoes are thoroughly coated with oil and the onions are well distributed throughout. Transfer to a large baking pan and spread the mixture out as evenly as possible.
- Bake for a total cooking time of 45 minutes; rotate the pan every 15 minutes of cooking time and avoid stirring the potatoes. Bake until perfectly golden brown on top.
- Season with additional salt and serve immediately.
To make a brilliantly ruby red "flannel" hash, substitute beets for half of the potatoes. Nobody likes potatoes when they turn black. To preserve raw potatoes from discoloring, keep them submerged in cold water in the fridge. The potatoes are best seasoned immediately after they're cooked.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
These hash browns turned out better than any other recipe I've ever followed! They were the perfect texture and so easy to make.
Laura Griffin says:
I combined these potatoes with beets and they were perfectly crispy and flavorful. Before I would always use my hand grater which was messy and difficult. Using the spiralizer was so much easier, I love it!