Chicken (and Hidden Vegetable) Nuggets
- Chicken-and-Vegetable Filling:
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Nugget Breading:
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup oat flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F(200°C). Line a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Pulse carrots and broccoli in a food processor to mince; transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mix ground chicken, almond flour, egg, garlic, oregano, and salt with the minced vegetables.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the chicken mixture and shape into a ball; flatten slightly. Repeat process with remaining mixture.
- Pour beaten egg into a small, shallow bowl.
- Mix almond flour, oat flour, oregano, and salt together in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dip a nugget into the egg to coat and immediately dredge in the dry breading mixture to coat completely; arrange on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn, and continue baking until the chicken is no longer pink at the center, about 10 minutes more.
You don't have to stick to the carrots and broccoli used here. You can use any mildly-flavored vegetable, such as turnips, sweet potatoes or roasted squash in fall and winter. Bonus: the turnips' pale color easily blends into the chicken mixture!
What others are saying
Sheila Long says:
I made this with turnips, as suggested in the tip box. I like the crunchy texture of the breading, these are fun and healthy so it's a win win for families with little kids.
DC Cote says:
The only thing that would have possibly made this recipe taste better is maybe cheese? I thought it was really good. Also, I used regular flour instead of almond and oat flour.
Rachel Douglas says:
I have really picky eaters but they loved this recipe! My son is nut free so we skipped the almond flour, really didn't notice a difference in taste or texture (they were really good). Our food processor was perfect for chopping all the ingredients perfectly. Break out the ketchup because your kids will love this!
Sam Dalton says:
These chicken veggie nuggets are the only way I can get my little guy to eat anything green! I'm so glad I found this recipe, he loves them.
Jessica Scott says:
I could not wait to try this recipe out on my little ones! It's so hard to get them to eat their vegetables, but they loved these so much they asked for seconds and thought of it as treat. Genius!