Slow Cooker Butter Chicken (Murgh Makhani)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 Roma (plum) tomatoes, pureed in a blender
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons ghee, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried fenugreek
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
For best results, we recommend using:
- Stir chicken, pureed tomatoes, onion, ghee, ginger, garlic, red chili powder, salt, and turmeric together in the crock of a slow cooker.
- Separate the coconut cream and water into separate bowls. Stir the water from the coconut milk can with the chicken mixture.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Stir coconut cream, half the cilantro, tomato paste, fenugreek, sugar, and garam masala with the chicken mixture. Replace lid and cook another 30 minutes.
- Season chicken and sauce with salt and garnish with remaining cilantro to serve.
Add more red chili powder and garam masala for spicer version.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
This slow cooker butter chicken came out better than expected. It had a lot of good flavor and was very fragrant. The turmeric gave it its bright color. Perfect with rice and naan.
Jessica Scott says:
The most delicious slow cooker butter chicken! Pairs perfectly with rice and vegetables. You can also serve with quinoa. The sauce is very authentic tasting. This recipe is definitely a must try! It's one of my weekly favorites.