Pressure Cooker White Chili
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large poblano peppers, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans white beans (great northern or cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 2½ cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons masa harina
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 lime, cut into six wedges
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in your pressure cooker set to Sauté. Cook and stir poblano peppers, onion, and jalapeno pepper in hot oil until tender, about 5 minutes; season with garlic, cumin, and salt.
- Stir chicken with the vegetable mixture; cook until no longer pink, 3 to 6 minutes; add beans and 2 cups water.
- Seal lid on cooker and cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes; relieve pressure naturally for 5 minutes before using quick-release valve to relieve remaining pressure.
- Stir masa harina with remaining ½ cup water; add to chili and stir.
- Press Sauté. Bring the chili to a boil and cook, stirring regularly, until slightly thickened.
- Ladle chili into bowls; garnish with cilantro and cheese. Squeeze a lime wedge over the chili to serve.
Adding a couple of tablespoons of masa harina to this recipe thickens the White Chili and adds flavor. If you don't like cilantro, try substituting parsley or thinly sliced green onions as your final garnish. Serve with warm soft tortillas or your favorite chips to round out the meal.
What others are saying
Garcia B says:
We had a family at my kids school that was in need so we all gathered together to make meals for the family. I made this chicken chili because I know it would keep well in the fridge. It smelled so good I had to make a batch for myself! We ate it with chips, it was so good. I added lots of cheese, which made it that much better.
Jazzy Brewer says:
I’m one of those people that doesn’t like cilantro, it seriously tastes like soap. I skipped it all together and didn’t replace it with anything. I love white chicken chili though, this recipe quick, easy and full of flavor.
Kaylee Adams says:
I have some masa harina on hand from when I made tamales, so I used it in this recipe to thicken the chili. Such a great idea! Sliced green onions and cilantro were the perfect garnish. Great dish!
Nick Myott says:
Chicken was perfectly cooked, and I love the spices. Ideal for easy fall/winter dish for the family.
Sam Dalton says:
This chicken and white bean chili is perfect for cold weather days. The cumin and garlic give it traditional, delicious flavor. The chicken was also very tender and flavorful. I can't wait to make this dish again.