Chicken and Wild Rice with Mushroom Casserole
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped thyme, plus more for garnish
- 2½ cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Melt butter and olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in butter and oil until softened, about 5 minutes; season with sea salt and pepper.
- Stir mushrooms and garlic with the onion and cook until the mushrooms release their moisture, about 5 minutes; season with thyme and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Pour 2½ cups chicken broth and white cooking wine into the pot; bring to a boil. Stir rice and chicken into the boiling liquid, cover the pot, and reduce heat to low. Simmer mixture until rice is cooked, about 50 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Remove pot from the heat and stir spinach through the rice and chicken; top with Gruyère cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese melts and starts to brown around the edges, about 15 minutes.
Keep an eye on the rice as it cooks, and taste it partway though the cooking time if need be. If it appears to be getting too dry before it is tender, add another 1/2 cup broth to the pot. If desired, sprinkle the casserole with a little chopped fresh parsley or thyme.
What others are saying
Jessica Scott says:
This recipe was amazing! It kind of reminds me of a casserole my mom used to make when I was a kid. I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms, so you can swap them out if you want, but even I think it gives the dish an amazing aromatic flavor.
Greg Jones says:
Surprisingly delicious recipe. This dish is actually what turned me on to wild rice. I added extra spinach and extra cheese. Cooking the rice in chicken broth made it taste very good. I will definitely make this again.
Sam Dalton says:
This chicken, mushroom and wild rice bake was delicious. The kids also really enjoyed it. We used mozzarella instead of Gruyere, and added more than 1 cup so the dish was extra cheesy. This is one of our family favorites we have on rotation.