Harvest Apple and Kale Salad with Cinnamon-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Cinnamon-Shallot Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons honey
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Harvest Apple and Kale Salad:
- 5 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, sliced thin
- ½ cup pepitas
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Beat red wine vinegar, honey, shallot, garlic, mustard, and cinnamon together with a whisk until smooth. Stream olive oil into the vinegar mixture while beating until emulsified; season with salt and pepper.
- Toss kale, apples, pepitas, and pecans together in a large bowl; serve with vinaigrette.
Oxidation causes sliced apples to start browning. Slow down this process by soaking the apple slices in a mixture of water and lemon juice for five minutes. Then just give them a light rinse before serving.
What others are saying
Rachel Douglas says:
Not a huge fan of kale so I used baby spinach, and I also swapped honey crisp apples for granny smith. I thought this salad was tasty, but I wish I would have added diced chicken. That would make it perfect!
Alex Cabral says:
I used my spiralizer to make apple spirals for this recipe. I also used sunflower seeds (shell removed) instead of pumpkin, because that's what I had in my pantry. Instead of keeping the kale raw, I tossed the leaves in olive oil over low medium heat so they were slightly sautéed, but not completely wilted. Delicious, festive, a must try!
Laura Griffin says:
I recently made this, it was a really good salad! I love the cinnamon flavors combined with the sweet apples. It's very festive, but also really good for any time of year.
Greg Jones says:
This salad was really good. I'm not a huge fan of kale so I used a spinach mix instead. The vinaigrette was good and the apples too. Great winter salad and perfect for holidays. I'm thinking about adding it to the Christmas menu.
Jessica Scott says:
This kale and apple salad was surprisingly delicious. Not sure why I had not tried this combination sooner? The cinnamon vinaigrette was also very flavorful. I was hesitant at first because of the cinnamon addition, but it pairs nicely with the apples. Perfect for Fall!