Cast-Iron Skillet Chicken with Carrots and Potatoes
- 1 (4 to 5 pound) whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ½ lemon
- ½ large yellow onion
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 1 pound red potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Arrange an oven rack in the lower third of the oven and remove any racks above it.
- Pat chicken with paper towel, absorbing liquid behind the wings and legs. Blot inside the body cavity.
- Rub olive oil onto chicken skin to coat; season with salt and pepper.
- Stuff lemon, onion, rosemary, thyme, and garlic into the chicken cavity. Bind legs together with a piece of kitchen twine or a wooden skewer.
- Place the chicken, breast-side up, in a cast-iron skillet. Arrange carrots and potatoes around the chicken.
- Reduce heat to 400°F (200°C) and roast chicken until a thermometer stuck into the thickest part of the thigh registers 165°F (75°C), 60 to 90 minutes.
- Rest chicken on a clean cutting board for 15 minutes before carving.
Leftover roast chicken is excellent on salads, sandwiches or Asian-inspired lettuce wraps. Save any leftover carrots and potatoes and freeze for vegetable soup or for our glazed-carrots recipe. If you like, you can change the flavor profile of the chicken by using a couple of teaspoons of your choice of spice rub when you add the salt and pepper.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
I just bought my first cast iron skillet and couldn't wait to try it out. This roasted chicken was amazing, and it fully exceeded my expectations! The meat was really tender and juicy, and using the cast iron made clean up so simple. Sometimes I take shortcuts on recipes, but you absolutely need the herbs and garlic for this recipe. It really gives it that wow factor.
Jessica Scott says:
This cast iron chicken was melt in your mouth delicious. The flavor was incredible, I still can't believe how stuffing a chicken with lemon and herbs makes it taste this amazing. I want to make this every week now!