Spiralized Zucchini Chow Mein with Chicken
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
- 5 zucchinis, spiralized using the 3mm blade and trimmed into 1-inch lengths
- 1 carrot, spiralized using the 3mm blade and trimmed into 1-inch lengths
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds, or to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Stir soy sauce, arrowroot, garlic, ginger, agave nectar, and sesame oil together in a bowl.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken in hot oil until golden brown, about 8 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Heat remaining oil in the skillet; sauté red bell pepper and yellow bell pepper in hot oil until softened, about 3 minutes. Return chicken to skillet and cook to reheat chicken, about 1 minute.
- Stir zucchini and carrot with the chicken mixture. Pour sauce into the skillet and gently toss to coat chicken and vegetables in sauce; cook until zucchini is tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Divide chicken chow mein into bowls; garnish with sesame seeds to serve.
Vegetarian? Omit chicken and add tofu.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
So delicious! Much better than I expected, being that it uses spiraled veggies. The carrot was a little awkward to spiraling, but I made it work. This is a new favorite, I'm so glad I tried it out.
Jessica Scott says:
I tried this healthy spin on chicken chow mien and it was so delicious. I especially loved all the bell peppers mixed in. This is the perfect dinner and makes generous portions for two people.
Greg Jones says:
Really good chow mein with or without chicken. Sometimes I use steak. I really like this recipe because of the spiralized zucchinis. I don't even eat take out anymore!
DC Cote says:
Thought this recipe was much better with chicken thighs, instead of breasts. The sauce was really delicious, but I used honey instead of agave and added extra soy sauce. This is great for those days when you want Chinese food but not all the carbs.
Rachel Douglas says:
I made this with chicken thighs instead. Really good recipe! I also used diced bell peppers instead of strips. I love getting takeout but its not always the healthiest option. I also added green onion on top for garnish.