- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup cooked long-grain rice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Cook rice in hot oil, stirring constantly, until rice is slightly puffed and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic powder and cumin into the rice; add onion, stir, and cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth and tomato sauce into the pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot with a lid, and simmer until water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Fluff rice with fork to serve.
Normally rice is cooked in water and then seasoned. In this recipe broth and tomato sauce are the cooking liquid, infusing flavor into every grain of rice!
What others are saying
Phil Mauracher says:
We put Rotel in a blender. Added .75 cup instead of .5 cup. Yum!!
Greg Jones says:
This Mexican rice was so good, I made two batches. I served it with shredded pork tacos, also from Mealthy. It made for a perfect meal.
Jessica Scott says:
I tried this delicious Mexican rice, it is perfect for taco night! This version tastes just like at my favorite restaurant. This should definitely be your go-to, fail proof recipe.