Mac and Cheese Bites
- For the Mac and Cheese:
- 1 ½ cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1½ cups grated white cheddar cheese
- To deep-fry:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta at a boil until al dente, 6 to 8 minutes; drain.
- Melt butter in a pan with a heavy bottom over medium heat. Whisk flour salt with the butter until it comes together into a roux, about 30 seconds. Slowly stream milk into the pan while whisking to incorporate; stir until smooth. Sprinkle cheese over the milk mixture, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cheese is completely melted; add drained macaroni and stir to coat.
- Spread the macaroni onto a baking sheet lined with parchment; set aside to allow macaroni to cool before moving to refrigerator for at least 1 hour, to overnight.
- Mix flour with a pinch of salt in a bowl. Beat eggs in another bowl. Pour breadcrumbs into a third bowl.
- Remove baking sheet from refrigerator and cut macaroni-and-cheese into squares.
- Drop a square into the flour and turn to coat, transfer to the egg mixture to coat, and roll in bread crumbs to coat; repeat until all the mac-and-cheese squares are coated in bread crumbs.
- Heat oil to 350°F (180°C) in a deep pan.
- Fry the bites in batches until golden brown, about two minutes per side; transfer to a baking parchment-lined baking sheet until all are finished. Serve hot.
Want to serve these at your next party but don't want to be deep frying in front of your guests? Fry them up just before they arrive and keep them warm in the oven.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
I really like these crunchy mac and cheese bites. I made them for a party, and they were the first to run out. Perfect for cheat day!
Greg Jones says:
These mac and cheese bites were great! Perfect for the whole family. I never think to use white cheddar, I don't know why, it was so good.