Portobello Mushroom Burger
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- cooking spray
- 2 turkey burger patties
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 ¼-inch-thick slices red onion
- 2 ¼-inch-thick slices tomato
- 2 tablespoons prepared basil pesto
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- Drizzle half the oil over the top of the mushroom caps. Sprinkle half the salt and thyme over the caps. Flip the caps and repeat with remaining oil, thyme, and salt.
- Heat a grill pan on medium-high and prepare with with cooking spray.
- Lay portobello caps, rounded side up, turkey burger patties, and onion slices onto the hot grill pan; cook for 4 minutes. Turn the mushroom caps and continue cooking for 1 minute before turning the burgers and onion slices. Lay a mozzarella slice atop each turkey patty. Continue cooking until the mushroom caps are softened and the turkey patties are no longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Place one portobello cap onto each of two plates with ribbed side facing up. Top each cap with a turkey patty, 1 tablespoon pesto, an onion slice, and a tomato slice. Sandwich with remaining caps. Sprinkle sesame seeds over the burgers to serve.
Depending on whether you're using fresh or frozen turkey burgers, your cooking time may vary. Alternatively, try your favorite veggie burgers for a vegetarian take on this healthy recipe. You can also grill the mushrooms on a charcoal or gas grill over medium-high heat if you prefer.
What others are saying
Robin Goldman says:
Great recipe!! Delicious!
Melissa Hunter says:
The mushroom caps worked perfectly as hamburger buns! I made mine a little different, I used an outdoor grill so my cooking time was a bit longer. I also skipped the cheese. Great recipe overall, simple to make and perfect for casual gatherings.
Caro Hodgin says:
this is the coolest concept! great for whole 30.
Laura Griffin says:
Loving everything about this delicious mushroom burger! Also, I just want to add that the basil pesto topping was a great addition and worked so well with all the flavors. Superb!
Greg Jones says:
Very good mushroom burger. Such a great idea to lose a few carbs and add a flavorful mushroom for the bun. Delicious, quick and easy dinner.
Tal Levitas says:
I love mushroom and burgers and I love losing the bread in my burgers. This works well! Deliciious!