Zucchini Roll-Ups with Ricotta and Tomato Sauce
- 4 medium zucchini
- 16 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups chunky tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Using a vegetable slicer or chef’s knife, make thin slices to zucchini resulting in long, vertical strips. Lay zucchini on sheet pan and set aside.
- Mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, and garlic and stir until combined.
- Assemble zucchini roll-ups by spreading ricotta cheese mixture over zucchini strips and topping with a tablespoon of tomato sauce. Set aside leftover sauce.
- Roll zucchini strips and place in baking dish side by side.
- Pour remaining sauce over zucchini roll-ups and top with mozzarella and any remaining ricotta cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until cheese begins to bubble, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Zucchini makes for the perfect low-carb and gluten-free alternative to pasta. Swap out the ricotta and use a different filling such as goat cheese and prosciutto or crab and cream cheese.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Very good zucchini rolls ups, and this is coming from the guy that doesn't really like zucchini. It's a nice alternative to lasagna and also kid friendly.
Laura Griffin says:
I wasn't sure how these would turn out, but they were very good! The trick is getting the perfect thickness of the zucchini slices. Some of mine were too thick, some were too thin. But once you have it rolled up and bake in the oven, it all tastes the same! Delicious dish!