Roasted Lemon Chicken with Potatoes
- 4 skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 lemon, sliced thin
- Mix chicken pieces, olive oil, garlic, and thyme together in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 8 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 380°F (195°C).
- Arrange potatoes in a roasting pan. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast potatoes in preheated oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pour chicken and marinade into the roasting pan with the potatoes.
- Mix white wine and molasses together in a small bowl; drizzle over the chicken and potatoes. Arrange lemon slices over the chicken and potatoes.
- Roast, basting regularly, until the chicken is no longer pink at the bone and a probe thermometer inserted into the center of the thickest piece of chicken reads 165°F (75°C), about 50 minutes; let rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Chicken thighs and drumsticks work best for this recipe. And try not to skip the overnight marinade, as really does make a difference! Use chicken stock to baste chicken if the liquid in the pan is insufficient. If pressed for time, you can marinate the chicken for as little as an hour, but the longer marination time is well worth the wait.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
Lemon chicken is my favorite so I thought I would give this one a go. It was tasty, done quickly AND I only had to dirty one dish... which is a mom win! I have recommended this recipe to all of my friends, it's a really good one!
Sam Dalton says:
Delicious chicken and potatoes recipe. The molasses gives it a delicious, sweet taste. I used chicken thighs and drumsticks. It's the perfect portion for my wife and I.
Laura Griffin says:
This is a very delicious, classic roasted lemon chicken dish. If you don't already have a go-to recipe in your arsenal, this is it! The added potatoes also made this a complete meal. Very good.