Taco-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Adjust an oven rack into the center position.
- Pierce each sweet potato in several places with a knife and wrap in aluminum foil; arrange onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Let cool until they can safely be handled.
- While the sweet potatoes bake, heat oil in a pan over medium. Sauté red bell pepper and garlic in hot oil until softened and aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir black beans, corn, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and lime juice with the pepper and garlic; continue cooking to let the flavors build, about 15 minutes more.
- Split each cooled sweet potato lengthwise. Remove some of the flesh, leaving a sturdy layer intact to support the outer skin.
- Stir removed sweet potato into the black bean mixture; spoon into the sweet potato shells. Sprinkle vegan cheese shreds over the stuffed potatoes.
- Bake until the cheese melts, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Top sweet potatoes with tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro to serve.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
These taco stuffed sweet potatoes are delicious! They have really good flavor, thanks to the cumin, chili, and paprika. I will definitely make these again.
Laura Griffin says:
I always buy a bag of sweet potatoes and sometimes run out of ways to prepare them. This was so good, I'm so glad I found this recipe. The cumin, paprika, and chili powder flavors were delicious! Even if you're not vegan, you will love this recipe! Swap in regular cheese if you want.