Wild Rice Pilaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ cup chopped scallions
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; add onion and immediately reduce heat to low. Cook onion in hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan; add rice and salt. Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to low, and place a lid on the pan. Simmer rice until tender, about 50 minutes.
- Drain rice and transfer to a bowl. Stir butter and scallions into the rice; season with salt and pepper.
Use your favorite kind of rice instead of wild rice if desired - just adjust the cook time accordingly.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Really good pilaf. Not sure what took me so long to try wild rice? It has a great nutty flavor that I really like. The green onions also give it a nice flavor.
Greg Jones says:
I'm a fan of wild rice and found this pilaf to be simple and delicious. The chopped scallions gave it nice flavor.