Mushroom Rice Pilaf
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or to taste
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook onion in garlic in hot oil until fragrant, about 2 minutes; add cremini mushrooms, white mushrooms, and shiitake mushrooms until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir rice with the mushrooms. Pour wine into the pan to deglaze, scraping browned bits of food from the bottom with a wooden spoon.
- Pour chicken stock into the pan. Stir turmeric into the stock; season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, place a cover on the pan, and simmer rice until tender, about 15 minutes; garnish with parsley to serve.
For a heartier dish, try this preparation with your favorite whole grain, such as farro, quinoa or barley. You could also try long grain brown rice for more nutrients. If you have access to good quality wild mushrooms, feel free to substitute them and try different combinations.
What others are saying
Chen Jing says:
Sheila Long says:
I cut the amount of mushrooms used in half and subbed chicken stock for vegetable stock. It's an easy recipe that makes a great side dish for Sunday dinner.
DC Cote says:
Rice pilaf makes a regular appearance at my house. It's a simple recipe that will add some flavor to plain rice. This recipe is timeless and classic. I subbed out chicken stock for vegetable broth, and didn't use any turmeric.
Rachel Douglas says:
I used cremini mushrooms only and really like the way it turned out, lots of really delicious flavor. If you like mushrooms you will love this recipe. Super simple side dish to make with chicken.
Sam Dalton says:
This is a really good rice pilaf the makes for the perfect side dish to dinner, including holidays and casual gatherings. I love the fragrant mushrooms, it was very delicious and simple to prepare.
Laura Griffin says:
Very good mushroom rice pilaf. The cremini mushrooms, white mushrooms and shiitake work great together! I never think to use all three, so glad I did. Delicious.