Buffalo Tofu Sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into ¼-inch planks
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, or as needed
- ¼ cup hot sauce (such as Frank’s® RedHot)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 celery stalks, cut into sticks, or to taste
- ½ cup vegan ranch dressing, or to taste
- Blot tofu planks dry with paper towel.
- Stir tapioca flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt together in a large bowl with a whisk; add tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Remove a few pieces tofu from the flour mixture and tap to remove loose coating; fry in oil until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn pieces and continue cooking until crispy and golden, about 5 minutes more. Remove tofu to a plate lined with apaper towel. Repeat frying process with remaining tofu pieces, using more oil as needed.
- Stir hot sauce, coconut, vinegar, and soy sauce together in a large bowl until smooth and fully emulsified; add tofu and toss to coat.
- Serve tofu sticks with celery and ranch dressing.
Freeze the block of tofu for 24 hours and thaw before using. The ice crystals compact the soy curds; when they melt, helping extrude water. The end result is a chewier tofu that’s ready to take on all the good flavors of the Buffalo sauce.
What others are saying
Jenny J says:
I tried this and instead of ranch we paired this with a vegan blue cheese recipe and a nice tall beer. It was really good.
Jordan Clark says:
You had me at fried tofu. So delicious! I used regular flour and they fried perfectly.
Loren Schaffer says:
Full honesty, I'm not a huge tofu fan but I have been trying to eat more protein so I tried this out. The buffalo sauce really hid the fact it was tofu, and I enjoyed this appetizer a whole lot more than I expected. It was a big hit at my dinner party.
Katie Hason says:
These buffalo tofu sticks were perfect for my Super Bowl party. The breading made them nice and crunchy. I didn't have time to freeze the tofu in advance, but next time I will try that method.
Laura Griffin says:
Yummy, crunch buffalo tofu sticks, perfect for game day! I was getting tired of the buffalo cauliflower wings, so this was a nice switch for a vegan-friendly appetizer.