Lemongrass Tofu Stir-Fry
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh lemongrass
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into ¼-inch planks
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- ½ pound fresh snow peas
- ½ pound sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or more to taste
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend lemongrass, garlic, water, and soy sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Heat oil in a large wok or skillet over medium-high. Tilt pan to coat cooking surface in oil. Gently lay tofu into the pan in an even layer; sear until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer tofu to a plate.
- Pour lemongrass mixture into the pan; simmer for 30 seconds. Stir bell pepper, snow peas, and mushrooms into the sauce; stir-fry until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Return tofu to the pan and continue to cook until all the excess water has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with red pepper flakes to serve.
Lemongrass is widely used not only in Asian cooking, but also in medicine. It is a fragrant tropical grass that yields an oil that smells like lemon.
What others are saying
Santana Williams says:
This is one of my favorite tofu stir fry recipes. I sautéed the vegetables in the lemongrass mixture for about 5 minutes before tossing in the tofu. I also cut them into cubes instead of planks.
Dominique M says:
This tofu stir fry is so delicious, especially with some ginger. That wasn't included in the recipe, but I like to add it. My younger kids didn't like it, but the older ones did.
Monica Allen says:
I couldn't find lemongrass, so this recipe probably didn't taste as good if I would have used the real thing. I just added fresh squeezed lemon juice and it was still really good. I also served brown rice with the stir fry, yum!
Sam Dalton says:
This was really quick and easy, lots of good flavor, and perfect for meatless Monday. I add extra low-sodium soy sauce and red pepper flakes for added flavor. Overall good dish, especially for people who are new to eating tofu.
Greg Jones says:
This dish boasts a ton of different flavors. From the lemongrass to the mushrooms, the peppers, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes, this meal was really good. Perfect light dish and good for weeknights because it's so quick.