Smoked Tofu and Vegetable Multigrain Bowls
- Multigrain Base:
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup wild rice
- Smoky Hoisin Sauce:
- ½ cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons water, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Tofu and Vegetable Toppings:
- 1 (8 ounce) smoked tofu, sliced
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 3 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 chioggia beet, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup daikon radish sprouts
- Stir vegetable stock, brown rice, quinoa, and wild rice together in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Place a lid on the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the liquid has been fully absorbed, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove pot from heat but leave pot covered to keep warm.
- Stir hoisin sauce, water, rice vinegar, liquid smoke, ginger, and garlic powder together in a bowl.
- Divide multigrain base between four large bowls; top with tofu, carrot, cucumber, beet, avocado, sesame seeds, and sprouts. Drizzle smoky hoisin sauce over the bowls to serve.
The options are endless when it comes to complementary vegetable toppings, so don’t limit yourself to these suggestions only. Try combinations of crisp, raw vegetables like radishes, snap peas, and peppers with roasted Brussels sprouts, baked sweet potatoes, and grilled asparagus. Microgreens are a good replacement for radish sprouts.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
This recipe was worth the work that went into it. I have been trying to eat less meat, and I don't miss the meat at all in this dish. Tons of flavor and still high in protein, loved it!
Katie Hason says:
I love the quinoa and wild rice combo, so nutritious! The smoky hoison sauce was also a winner, I will definitely be making this again. This is one of my favorite lunch meals, so good.
Sam Dalton says:
I haven't played around with liquid smoke a lot, but I really like the flavor it gives to the sauce and tofu in this dish. I got a little creative with the add-ins and used Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. It turned out nicely.
Chaz Norwood says:
Really loved the idea for this bowl but I just can’t do tofu. I made it with shrimp instead and it was amazing. Loved everything about it including the sauce. This is a must try. Even if your not vegan, just make it your own using the proteins you love.
Heather Bock says:
I look forward to trying this! I am a bit disappointed that they don't have a recipe to make the smoky tofu? Or if they do, they don't appear to have a link? At any rate, this looks like it will be very tasty!