Breakfast Grits Bowl
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup stone-ground grits
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 fried egg
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan; add milk and salt.
- Slowly pour grits into saucepan while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cook at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 25 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir buttermilk and butter into the grits; season with salt and pepper.
- Top grits with bacon and egg to serve.
- (Optional: Treat yourself to a nice Bloody Mary.)
Why limit yourself to just eggs and bacon? You can certainly add other toppings to get even more flavor into your breakfast bowl. Try shredded cheese, green onions, and maybe even hot sauce. Or add some Mexican flair with chopped chiles, tomatoes, and cilantro.
What others are saying
Rachel Douglas says:
This is really just a recipe for buttermilk grits. I like to add sugar (don't judge me), it was pretty good. I had never used buttermilk in grits before.
Santana Williams says:
Hands down my favorite breakfast for Saturdays. I used the whipped scrambled eggs also from this website with the grits and bacon. It was perfect.
Dominique M says:
Is it terrible that I used instant grits here? I also coarsely chopped the bacon, used scrambled eggs, and added cheese. Quick and simple.
Laura Griffin says:
I eat this for breakfast regularly, there's not a whole lot to it. My husband always debate whether or not sugar goes in grits. I say no, but of course he adds a ton to his bowl!
Katie Hason says:
I made this bowl and it was so good! I added cheese and green onions to mine. I love the convenience of just throwing everything in a bowl and eating it together. Sometimes I crumble my bacon up in the bowl too!