Pressure Cooker Quick French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 4 baguette slices
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Melt butter in a pressure cooker set to Sauté. Cook and stir onions in hot butter until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir water, sugar, salt, and pepper with the onions.
- Seal lid on pressure cooker, select Poultry, and cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes. Relieve pressure through the quick-release valve.
- Pour beef stock into the pot; add thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Seal lid on pressure cooker and cook on High Pressure for 4 minutes. Relieve pressure through the quick-release valve.
- Remove and discard thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir sherry vinegar and fish sauce into the soup; season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Ladle soup into four oven-safe bowls; top each portion with 1 baguette slice and ¼ cup Gruyere cheese.
- Place soup bowls onto a baking sheet and cook under broiler until cheese is browned and bubbling, 2 to 4 minutes.
Gruyere is a semi-soft cheese named after a Swiss village. The cheese is wonderfully complex. At first bite the flavors are fruity, and later it becomes more earthy and nutty. It suits this Quick French Onion Soup perfectly!
What others are saying
Debbie Wright says:
We loved it! I would let the onions brown while sautéing next time but that is just me.
Erin Hudson says:
I used brie cheese instead of gruyere and I thought it turned out extra creamy and delicious. The broth was amazing, I wouldn't change a thing.
Kelly Minasi says:
Was very good though I would suggest browning the onions until they caramelize a bit, this is when the best flavor and color is achieved.
Greg Jones says:
This was a really good, classic French onion soup recipe with rich flavors. Purely comfort food that is especially great for these cold weather days we've been getting hit with lately.
Katie Hason says:
This cheesy and delicious French onion soup is superb! The Gruyere cheese was the perfect addition to this dish. All of the flavors in the soup were classic and rich. It was also incredibly easy to make, thanks to the quick cooking time of my pressure cooker. I can't wait to make this again!