- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Toppings: butter, syrup, and fresh berries
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and kosher salt in a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Stir flour mixture into buttermilk mixture.
- Preheat a lightly oiled waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron, close, and cook until golden brown and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Top waffles with butter, syrup, and berries as desired.
Waffles don't need to be relegated just for breakfast. Serve them with fried chicken for lunch or dinner. We also love waffles for dessert topped with fresh whipped cream and berries. Waffles hot out of the iron are also fantastic with ice cream.
What others are saying
Lisa Graveline says:
The best waffles I’ve ever had hands down! I made it with an all purpose gluten free flour but otherwise followed the recipe perfectly. A must try!
Sheila Long says:
Made dessert waffles topped with fresh whipped cream and berries for my sister's birthday. I definitely think it's my new favorite way to eat waffles.
DC Cote says:
Best basic waffle recipe. I smothered it with gourmet orange infused honey and maple syrup. Super delicious. Perfect weekend brekkie.
Rachel Douglas says:
I recently upgraded to a new waffle iron and tried out this recipe. Words like a charm! Perfect texture (crispy on the outside, light and moist on the inside). I made a classic "chicken and waffles" and it was so yummy.
Sam Dalton says:
This is the only waffle recipe we use in our house. Buttermilk really adds to the texture of the waffles. These are definitely a favorite.
Laura Griffin says:
These buttermilk waffles came out perfect. It's one of those recipes that you must have in your arsenal because it's simple and classic. This is definitely my go-to for delicious waffles!