One Pot Chicken, Rice, and Mushroom Bake
- 1 (3½ pound) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped crimini mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- ½ cup white cooking wine
- 1½ cups chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pat chicken dry and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken pieces to the pot in batches, skin-side down, in an even layer; cook until the skin is golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Flip chicken and brown on the other side, 3 to 5 minutes more. Remove chicken pieces to a large plate or baking sheet.
- Add butter and chopped mushrooms to the pot and sauté for 2 minutes; add the diced onion and cook until it becomes tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in brown rice and cook for 1 minute; add the wine, increase heat to high, and cook, stirring often, until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Return chicken to pot in an even layer. Pour in chicken stock and salt. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender, about 1 hour. Turn off the heat and let the pot sit covered for 10 minutes.
Have your butcher cut the whole chicken into pieces if you like. Alternatively, you can use 3 to 4 pounds of chicken thighs and drumsticks. Try subbing farro or quinoa for the rice for a heartier grain. Stir in vegetables like spinach, kale or peas for added nutrition.
What others are saying
Greg Jones says:
I made this recipe for my family and everyone loved it. I never thought I would like mushrooms, but it truly adds delicious flavor to this dish. Garlic, thyme, cooking wine, broth, all the makings of a delicious chicken dinner.
Laura Griffin says:
This chicken, rice, and mushroom bake is perfect for weeknights. It's also a hearty and nutritious meal that's perfect for feeding the family. The cooking wine and chicken stock give it a delicious flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed this!