Penne alla Vodka
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir shallot and garlic in oil until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir tomato paste with the shallot and garlic; cook until deep red and starting to stick to the skillet, about 5 minutes.
- Pour vodka into the skillet and cook until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir cream and red pepper flakes with the tomato mixture; season with salt. Cook until the mixture is very thick, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and toss penne noodles with the sauce to coat.
- Divide noodles between 4 bowls; garnish with Parmesan cheese and basil to serve.
Don't skimp on the cream in this decadent recipe—it's not the same with a lower-fat substitute. Save this tasty pasta for evenings with you want to indulge. If you like, serve the pasta with a side salad of mixed greens or baby kale to cut back on portion size.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
This was my first time making vodka sauce, wow, so easy and delicious! I used my best bottle of vodka in the house, combined with the tomato paste, shallot and garlic, and it was incredible. This is definitely now one of my favorite cheat day recipes when I'm craving some carbs! So good.
Sam Dalton says:
I love this vodka sauce, it's perfect with noodles or spiraled zucchini. It's very rich and creamy, one of my favorite things about this recipe. If you like vodka sauce, or just a lover of pasta then you definitely need to check this one out.
Jessica Scott says:
Mouthwatering, rich and creamy penne vodka recipe. definitely a favorite. Next time I will probably add sun-dried tomatoes for added texture. It also tastes even better the next day. Perfect!
DC Cote says:
Perfect vodka sauce! Even though you only use two tablespoons vodka, you can definitely tell the difference, it's a distinct taste. I used top shelf vodka also.
Rachel Douglas says:
Super indulgent and delicious, I just wish that it wouldn't use heavy cream! I've made this once and it's probably my favorite pasta recipe ever, but won't be making again any time soon because it's so heavy in fat.