One Pot Pesto Penne Pasta
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1¼ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces penne pasta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1¼ cup prepared basil pesto
- ½ cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add chicken, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes; add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Turn heat up to high. Add water and salt to the Dutch oven; bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook pasta, stirring often, until al dente, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes, pesto, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Avocado oil has a higher smoke point than olive oil, which means that easily-burning garlic is less likely to char. If you don't have that, use canola, vegetable or coconut oil. Olive oil has a low smoke point, so it's better for finishing dishes or cooking over low heat.
What others are saying
DC Cote says:
I used spaghetti instead of penne and it was delicious. I left out the sun-dried tomatoes but added more diced roma toatmoes. Great with chicken or shrimp!
Dominique M says:
Simple recipe! What I realized though, is that it works way better with homemade pesto, not the jarred stuff.
Rachel Douglas says:
This was perfect sans the sun-dried tomatoes. I used extra garlic, because you can never have too much garlic. I also added some shaved parm on top, so yummy. Great pasta recipe that's not "spaghetti".
Greg Jones says:
I love pasta and this pesto penne version is certainly no exception. This recipe was quick, easy, and delicious. I can eat it warm or cold.
Jessica Scott says:
This pesto penne pasta was delicious! Loved the sun-dried tomatoes mixed with the cherry tomatoes. This recipe is good enough to eat with our without chicken. I also used the prepared basil pesto recipe on this site. Yummy!