Fire-Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (15.5 ounce) jar fire-roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, more for garnish
- ¼ freshly chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- ¼ freshly chopped basil
For best results, we recommend using:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, about 8 minutes; drain.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the peppers and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Blend the pepper mixture in a blender until well combined or blend directly in the skillet using an immersion blender.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in the skillet over medium heat. Pour the pepper puree back into the skillet; add the broth, salt, and pepper, and stir until heated through. Pour in the cream and stir.
- Add pasta to the skillet and toss to coat in sauce. Stir in Parmesan cheese, parsley, and basil.
- Divide into bowls and garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and parsley to serve.
If you'd like to cut back on calories, use half and half in place of the heavy whipping cream. The sauce won't be quite as rich and creamy, but the results will still be tasty. Don't have rigatoni? Try a similar small pasta shape, such as shells, penne, fusilli or farfalle.
What others are saying
Tiana D. says:
I have been wondering forever what to do with that jar of fire-roasted pasta, thanks for helping me figure it out! Rather than the heavy cream, I used 2 percent milk and that worked just fine. This sauce is thick and delicious, a new favorite!
Sam Dalton says:
Definitely one of my favorite pasta sauces. This was my first time using fire roasted peppers and now I make it with everything. Such a fantastic dish. I used different pasta noodles, but other than that this recipe is awesome.
Jessica Scott says:
This fire roasted red pepper pasta is my new favorite! I'm definitely addicted. It's not at all spicy, but instead zesty and flavorful. The sauce was also really easy to make. Not sure why I didn't try this sooner, but better late than never! It's for sure my go-to pasta recipe. I also really like the thick and hearty rigatoni pasta, it's great for thick sauces.
Greg Jones says:
This fire roasted red pepper pasta is definitely one of my favorite dishes. The sauce is incredible, and it was really easy to make. It purees nicely in the blender, and is the perfect consistency.
Sarah Gray says:
I used half and half in place of the heavy whipping cream and couldn't tell the difference, it was still creamy and tasty. Shells worked really well for this pasta too, glad I tried it even though I didn't have rigatoni.
Susie Bren Violette says:
I loved this dish! The sauce was amazing!!! I will definitely recommend to others.