Chicken Pesto Buddha Bowls with Asparagus and Brown Rice
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ¼ cup prepared basil pesto
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Lightly oil a baking sheet and add tomatoes in a single layer. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and oregano and season with salt and pepper; gently toss to combine.
- Bake in preheated oven until tender, 15 to 16 minutes.
- Heat a large pot of water over high heat and cook asparagus until bright green in color, about 3 minutes; drain well and set aside.
- Heat remaining tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in oil until cooked through and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in pesto and gently toss to combine.
- Divide rice into bowls and top with chicken, rice, tomatoes, and asparagus.
The beauty of buddha bowls is their customization. For different flavor, try peanut sauce or a miso dressing instead of the peanut sauce. Instead of brown rice, use another hearty grain like quinoa or farro. Vegetarian? Substitute cubed tofu for the chicken.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
I've made this a couple times for my weekly meal prep! It's a really easy recipe, especially if you have pesto already prepared.
Greg Jones says:
I've made these bowls twice, once with brown rice and once with quinoa. I enjoyed it both ways. Asparagus is always a good choice, and pesto chicken as well. Great recipe for meal prep, lunch or dinner.
DC Cote says:
The homemade basil pesto recipe was the best part of this dish. I used roma tomatoes and added broccoli to the bowl with the asparagus. This is great for lunch.
Rachel Douglas says:
I should have followed the basil pesto recipe but I used stored bought (the kind that comes in a jar) and I am not impressed with the way it turned out. I just feel like something was missing from this bowl, maybe it needed more sauce? This would get 5 points from me for ingredients and concept, but I'm giving it three because it needs more sauce and a homemade pesto instead of store-bought.
Sheila Long says:
I substituted chicken for tofu instead and used quinoa instead of brown rice. Perfect for lunch or dinner.