Pressure Cooker Italian Sausage and Lentil Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausages, halved
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1½ cups lentils, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 (packed) cups fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
For best results, we recommend using:
- Heat oil in pressure cooker set to Sauté on Normal/
- Sear sausage pieces in hot oil until browned on at least one side, about 5 minutes; remove sausages to a plate.
- Stir celery, carrot, onion, sage, rosemary, and bay leaf together in the pot; cook to soften slightly, about 3 minutes.
- Pour lentils and vegetable stock into the pot, stir, and spread into a flat layer.
- Arrange seared sausage pieces atop the lentils with seared-sides up.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Bean/Chili and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, allow pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, then set steam vent to Venting to quick-release remaining pressure.
- Remove and discard sage, rosemary, and bay leaf.
- Mix the spinach into the lentil mixture to serve.
If you don't have access to fresh herbs, replace thyme and rosemary with 1/2 teaspoon dried each. When using dried herbs, they incorporate into the dish and don't need to be removed and discarded as you would with the fresh sprigs.
What others are saying
Melissa P says:
Used dried herbs for this recipe because I didn’t have any fresh ones on hand and the store was out of thyme. I thought it was pretty good, definitely easy to make.
Randall Hauk says:
What's great about this technique is that you can definitely vary what sausages and lentils you use to get different flavors to this. We have a great sausage vendor at Pike Place Market (by all means, hit Uli's if/when you visit) who will give you a few dozen variations on this. Highly recommend it with merguez (Moroccan) if you can find it.
Sue Rogers says:
Delicious! I used chicken sausage and added another carrot. Otherwise, I followed the recipe as written.
Greg Jones says:
This Italian sausage and lentil stew was very good. It's a great recipe for cold weather days. I sometimes prefer this dish over chili on game days as well. It pairs nicely with a side salad or bread if you don't mind the added carbs.
Laura Griffin says:
I'm trying to add more fiber to my diet so decided to use up the rest of the lentils in my pantry and make this dish. It was so simple to make and so delicious! I can't rave about it enough. It was really flavorful and perfect for making ahead and storing in the in fridge or freezer for later.