Quinoa Mac and Cheese
- cooking spray
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup diced green onions
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 5 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Prepare a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a large bowl; add green onions, tomatoes, and garlic. Fold in cooked quinoa and 1½ cups Cheddar cheese.
- Pour quinoa mixture into prepared baking dish; top with remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until browned around the edges, about 30 minutes.
If desired, add your own mix-ins like broccoli or carrots for extra nutrients. For extra zing, try using sharp cheddar cheese in this dish.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
My kids love this quinoa mac and cheese. They know it's quinoa, and it didn't really remind them of classic macaroni and cheese, but either way they love it and it's a great way for them to eat healthy. I am adding this to our weekly rotation for sure.
Jessica Scott says:
This quinoa "mac and cheese" was surprisingly delicious. It's perfect for introducing kids to eating quinoa as well. I fed this to my nieces and nephews and they were instant fans. Next time I make this I will try mixing in vegetables like carrots. So delicious!
Dominique M says:
Nothing about this recipe reminded me of mac and cheese. It was cheesy quinoa, and it tasted good, but not mac and cheese. The kids liked it, so that's always a win. I didn't add the green onions and used 1 large egg instead of two.
Santana Williams says:
The only thing that would make this recipe better is maybe using more cheese? I love the method of baking it in the even like traditional mac and cheese. This was really good and kid friendly.
Monica Allen says:
This recipe was just like making mac and cheese, baked and all. I used cheddar and pepper jack cheese, my two favorites. It was delicious and much healthier than traditional mac.