Baked Popcorn Chicken
- 1½ pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season chicken with onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and turn to coat; dredge in panko to coat and arrange on prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes.
Serve this popcorn chicken as is or with your favorite dipping sauce. Or, if you want to go all out, set out a sampler of sauces. A few suggestions: barbecue sauce, honey mustard, and sweet and sour sauce.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
We made this popcorn chicken for my kids and they loved it. I've got some picky eaters, so this win was huge for us.
Greg Jones says:
My kids love this popcorn chicken, including my toddler. Panko breadcrumbs are light and crispy without having to be fried, which makes it a great choice for baking in the oven. This chicken had great flavor too, well done.
Dominique M says:
Good flavor, moist chicken, crunchy texture. I also added seasoned salt, it was really delicious. Kids also loved it.
DC Cote says:
Crunchy and delicious! I love the panko breadcrumbs. I had to leave these in the oven a little longer to get the golden color on the outside, but didn't want to leave it in the oven too long because I didn't want them to dry out. I think 15-17 minutes was perfect.
Rachel Douglas says:
The olive oil dredge worked just ok for me. I think I would have had better luck if I used an egg wash. My favorite part of this recipe, though, was the panko bread crumbs. Extra crispy and crunchy just like I like it.