Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu Tacos
- Cornmeal-Crusted Tofu:
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) package extra-firm tofu, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Avocado Crema:
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water, or more as needed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- ½ cup fresh salsa or pico de gallo
- Mix cornmeal, chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Toss the tofu in this dry mixture until well-coated.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and about half the tofu so as to not crowd the pan. Let cook, undisturbed, to form a nice sear on the bottom, about 6 minutes. Gently flip and continue to sauté until golden and crispy on all sides, about 5 minutes more; transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining tofu.
- Blend avocado, lemon juice, water, ½ teaspoon cumin, and salt in a blender, pausing to scrape down the sides as needed, until completely smooth. Slowly drizzle in more water until it reaches your desired consistency. Use more water if using the crema as a sauce, less if using as a spread. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Assemble tacos with a warm tortilla on the bottom, topped with cabbage, corn, salsa, and 3 or 4 cubes of the tofu; slather with avocado crema and devour!
Feel free to vary the cabbage and pico de gallo based on what’s in-season and in your fridge. Just keep it simple to allow all that golden corn goodness to shine. The tofu is best served just after it's fried, but if you have leftovers, serve on top of salad for a crunchy crouton alternative.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
These cornmeal tofu tacos are perfectly crispy and delicious. I try to stay away from fried foods, but these are my weakness.
Katie Hason says:
These crunchy, cornmeal crusted tofu tacos were surprisingly delicious! I'm not a vegan, but made this for me and my fiancee for "meatless Monday" and loved it. The avocado crema sauce was also really delicious. The sauce was so simple to make, and didn't require cashews. We will definitely make this again.