Spinach Salad with Mixed Berries, String Beans, and Poppyseed Vinaigrette
- Poppyseed Vinaigrette:
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ cup white wine or champagne vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ cup green beans, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup mixed berries
- ground black pepper
For best results, we recommend using:
- Blend shallot, mustard, honey, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender until smooth; slowly drizzle in the olive oil while blending to emulsify. Alternately, put the ingredients into a deep bowl or pot and blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Transfer blended mixture to a bowl and stir in the poppy seeds. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil; add green beans and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes; drain and rinse under cold running water to stop cooking process.
- Halve the green beans lengthwise.
- In a small pan over low heat, add the sunflower seeds; cook, shaking the pan constantly, until lightly toasted and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Watch carefully so they don't burn! Set aside to cool.
- Gently toss spinach, cucumber, avocado, mixed berries, and green beans together in a large bowl.
- Drizzle vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- Divide salad into two bowls; top with toasted sunflower seeds. Season with additional salt and pepper, if needed.
You can toast the seeds on a baking sheet in a 350°F (180°C) oven for about 5 minutes.
What others are saying
Sam Dalton says:
Whoever says salad is boring needs to try this recipe! The flavors and texture of this salad was perfect, and the vinaigrette was so good. The spinach, greens, cucumber, and avocado are all healthy and delicious in this dish. This is great as a side salad or main as well.
Greg Jones says:
Very good salad, especially the poppyseed dressing. I made this with a side of skirt steak, it was really good.
Dominique M says:
This salad is perfect for entertaining. I didn't use the dressing because my husband doesn't like poppyseed, so we opted for a cilantro, avocado, and lime dressing. It was perfect with the grilled chicken we served.
DC Cote says:
I made this recipe but didn't add green beans, and I used strawberries only. Add a little lemon juice to the poppyseed vinaigrette, so tasty! Wish I could bottle this stuff up and put it on everything.
Santana Williams says:
This was the perfect recipe, but I customized it a little. I used raspberries and blackberries only, about 1 cup. It was super fresh, and the sweet and tangy flavors paired nicely. I also used a spring mix of spinach and arugula instead of just spinach. I definitely want to make this again.