Skinny Creamed Spinach
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, grated
- 16 ounces baby spinach, washed
- ⅓ cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup reduced-fat milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until soft, about 5 minutes; add spinach in 3 to 4 batches, cooking each until wilted before adding the next, 1 to 2 minutes per batch. Remove spinach to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Whisk yogurt, milk, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and nutmeg together in skillet; cook until bubbly and thick, about 30 seconds. Stir in the spinach and mix to coat.
What others are saying
McKenzie C says:
The Greek yogurt and milk worked great in this recipe. I opted for minced garlic instead of garlic powder, and sautéed it with the onion. It turned out great, I think I will serve it as a side dish for my Easter Sunday dinner.
Erica Schaefer says:
I've always only ever had this with heavy cream, so I appreciate the lighter take. I did shallots instead of onion, just a personal preference. Such a delicious side dish.
Stephanie D says:
This was really easy! I didn't add the nutmeg, and I think it still turned out great. My husband added a little extra cheese on top, but it's great without it too.
Greg Jones says:
I made this light creamy spinach and was very impressed. It's one of my favorite side dishes, but every time I've made it in this past it's been really greasy. This version is much better, and delicious. The Greek yogurt and reduced fat milk make this a healthier alternative. Definitely the way to go!
Caro Hodgin says:
I loooove creamed spinach, but hate when all the sides at a holiday dinner are super rich and fattening. This is such a delicious way to get creamed spinach onto the table, without all the calories!