Wild Mushroom Soup with Mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1½ cups mushroom stems
- 1 red onion, chopped and divided
- ½ cup carrot, hopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped and divided
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- ¼ cup parsley sprigs
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 5 cups chopped mixed mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese, or more to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir mushroom stems, half the onion, carrot, celery, half the garlic, thyme sprigs, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper together to soften vegetables, about 5 minutes; add water and parsley sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place a lid on the pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While the broth simmers, melt butter with 1 tablespoon oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Sauté remaining onion in the melted butter mixture until translucent, about 5 minutes; add remaining garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir mixed mushrooms, chopped thyme, oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper with the onion; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms have softened, about 5 minutes.
- Pour white wine into the pot and bring to a boil to deglaze, scraping the browned bits of food from the bottom of the pot with the flat edge of a wooden spoon. Cook until wine has reduced by about half, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Strain mushroom broth from the other pan directly into the pot with the mushrooms and stir. Discard the solids.
- Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and puree until smooth; return blended soup to the pot and place on low heat. Alternately, blend directly in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir mascarpone into the soup to melt.
If you like a little bit of heat in your soup, add some red chili flakes with the herbs.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
Mascarpone is such a versatile ingredient, and I loved using it in this mushroom soup. This soup was thick and creamy, and very flavorful. Perfect for cold weather days!
Katie Hason says:
I tried this mushroom soup and it was so creamy and delicious. The mascarpone gives this dish a nice texture and thickness. This is definitely the best mushroom soup I've ever had.