- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 5 cups prepared organic tomato soup
- 1 (4 ounce) package sliced pepperoni
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ teaspoon dry rubbed sage
- ⅓ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced and toasted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
For best results, we recommend using:
- Bring diced tomatoes and tomato soup to a boil in a Dutch oven. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Blend tomato soup mixture in a blender until smooth; return to the pot. Alternately, blend in the pot with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Stir pepperoni, green bell peppers, garlic, sage, basil, and oregano into the soup; season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and simmer soup, until peppers are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat your oven’s broiler.
- Ladle soup mixture into ovenproof bowls. Top each portion with a slice of bread and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Place bowls under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly, 3 to 4 minutes.
This soup can easily be made vegetarian. Simply omit the pepperoni and stir in a vegetable of your choice, such as sliced zucchini or frozen peas. Don't have the dried spices listed here? Pick up an Italian herb blend at the grocery store and use 1 1/2 teaspoons for similar flavor.
What others are saying
Katie Hason says:
When I saw pizza soup, I knew I had to try it! This reminded me of tomato soup 2.0. Of course I went overboard and added sausage and mushrooms to it as well! It definitely tasted a lot like pizza. Do not skip the French bread, it ties everything together nicely.
Sam Dalton says:
My kids love pizza soup, it's their favorite weeknight meal. The bell peppers give it a great flavor, and the kids don't even notice The kicker, is that it truly does taste like pizza. I love to sop it up with the bread, very yummy.