Pressure Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- crushed tortilla chips, shredded Cheddar cheese, and chopped fresh cilantro for topping
For best results, we recommend using:
- Arrange chicken in pressure cooker; add chicken stock, tomatoes, chilies, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- Lock pressure cooker lid in place and set steam vent to Sealing.
- Select Pressure Cook (Manual) and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle has completed, set steam vent to Venting to quick-release pressure.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board.
- Set pressure cooker to Sauté; add black beans and corn.
- Shred chicken using 2 forks and return to pressure cooker; stir.
- Simmer soup on Keep Warm until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
This soup is perfect vehicle for toppings; sour cream, a squeeze of lime, chopped tomatoes, and green onions are all great additions. Feel free to add any and all of your favorites! Diced green chilies come in both mild and hot varieties. That allows you to decide how much heat you want to put in this recipe.
What others are saying
Olivia Heath says:
I made this soup because I already had all of the ingredients and it seemed easy. Now, I will be including this recipe in my regular rotation. It is so delicious and I keep on craving it! I definitely would recommend this recipe.
Melissa P says:
Hot green chilies are the way to go in this recipe. Lots of heat, lots of flavor. I also topped it with the basics: sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips. Such a good recipe I’ll definitely make this again.
Hector Jonass says:
Loved this for being such a super-easy and tasty recipe! Treated it like pho and let the kids assemble their own bowls, which was a winner. If I make the exact same thing and put it in front of them, it'd be "Ugh, DAAAAADDD!!!!" They didn't take any avocado, so more for me! Also added a bit of hot sauce to mine.
Travis Johnson says:
Easy and tasty recipe!
Laura Griffin says:
Definitely my favorite chicken tortilla soup. I add extra cheese, avocado, and tortilla chips on mine. The stock is so flavorful, with all the seasonings and chilies. Perfect for cold weather days!
Katie Hason says:
I made this chicken tortilla soup and it was so warming and delicious. It reminded me a lot of restaurant-style tortilla soup. The chili powder, cumin, and oregano gave this dish delicious, authentic flavors. Seriously, making shredded chicken in the pressure cooker is so simple, and this soup is just one of the amazing creations that can be prepared in around 30 minutes!