Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich with Apple, Cheddar, and Pesto
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper, or more to taste
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 thin slices (store-bought or homemade) sandwich bread, lightly toasted
- 8 slices roasted turkey
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices white Cheddar cheese
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spread walnuts onto a baking sheet.
- Toast walnuts in preheated oven until fragrant, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Puree toasted walnuts, basil, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in a food processor until fully combined; slowly drizzle in olive oil until thinned.
- Arrange bread slices onto a baking sheet. Place 2 slices of turkey onto each bread slice; season with salt and pepper and top with Cheddar cheese.
- Cook in preheated oven until cheese has melted, 5 to 8 minutes; let cool slightly for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lay apple slices onto melted cheese; top with arugula. Drizzle pesto over sandwiches to serve.
To make these sandwiches vegetarian, Simply omit the turkey. Extra pesto will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week, and it also freezes well. Make a double batch to have on hand for future lunches and dinners—toss it with pasta, put it on pizza, or spread on sandwiches!
What others are saying
Santana Williams says:
Delicious sandwiches, made them vegetarian! The walnut pesto was really delicious, great texture and flavor. The spicy arugula with the sweet apples are such a winning combo too. Toasting the walnuts brought out a great flavor, such a smart move.
Dominique M says:
I like to make these open faced turkey sandwiches after I workout. I use gluten free bread, no cheese, no apple. The pesto is so good!
Jordan Clark says:
For these sandwiches I just used a homemade basil pesto. I also used an arugula spring mix, so it had baby spinach in it too. The apple and cheddar pairing was delicious, great recipe.
Laura Griffin says:
These turkey sandwiches with apple, cheddar, and pesto were fantastic. I made these for my friend's baby shower and everyone loved them! Perfect for casual parties and get togethers.
Jessica Scott says:
This turkey, apple and cheddar sandwich was really delicious, especially with the spicy arugula on top. The walnut pesto was also very flavorful! This is perfect for a quick, light lunch.