Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta
- 1 tablespoon oil, divided
- 1½ pounds chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 head broccoli
- 6 cups low-fat milk
- 1 pound bow-tie pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Heat ½ tablespoon olive oil in a large pot. Add chicken and season with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- Heat remaining oil in the pot. Add broccoli and season with remaining salt and pepper. Cover and cook until bright green, about 2 minutes.
- Pour in milk and bring to a boil, stirring periodically. Add pasta and cook, stirring frequently, until al dente, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses; cook and stir to melt. Stir in chicken.
Feel free to use whatever seasonal vegetables you have in your refrigerator instead of the broccoli. This creamy pasta would be equally delicious with roasted Brussels sprouts, cubed zucchini, julienned red peppers or fresh or frozen peas. Simply omit the chicken to make the pasta vegetarian.
What others are saying
Sheila Long says:
It's tasty, the kids love it, and it has some veggies in it! I didn't make a lot of the sauce so my kids ate it with their little fingers.
Rachel Douglas says:
I used sweet green peas instead of using broccoli. My kids eat this stuff up! The bowtie pasta noodles are perfect for their little hands. I added lots of garlic to this recipe, but other than that kept everything the same.
Tiana D. says:
The absolute best thing about this recipe is that it's one-pot (and also super delicious). My kid and husband were super happy and even ate the broccoli they sometimes avoid. I will be making this in the future, total winner!
Sam Dalton says:
This was a really good, easy to make pasta dish. I add a little white pepper or red chili flakes to my dish, and give the kids this version. It's really simple and better than using store bought sauces.
Katie Hason says:
I made this recipe and it's a super simple and easy to make dish. You can't even tell the sauce is prepared with low-fat milk and and cheese! Overall, this dish was was creamy and flavorful, and perfect even for picky eaters.