- 4 cups rigatoni pasta
- 4 cups water
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 (3 ounce) package pepperoni slices
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, or to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta at a boil until al dente, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir 4 cups water, tomato paste, garlic, parsley, onion powder, oregano, and basil together in a saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add sausage and cook until the meat browns and is no longer pink, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
- Drain grease from the pan and place over medium-low heat. Pour tomato sauce over the sausage; add mozzarella cheese and pepperoni slices. Stir the mixture, cover the pot, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir cooked pasta to sauce and stir to coat. Divide into bowls and serve warm. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese as desired.
What others are saying
Laura Griffin says:
This actually tasted like pizza, which was amazing. Can't go wrong with sausage and pepperoni either! Next time I will probably mix in bell peppers.
Jessica Scott says:
My kids went crazy over this pizza-inspired pasta. I make spaghetti so much, I know they get tired of eating it all the time. This recipe was a great alternative for them, and really easy for me to make on busy weeknights. This is definitely a new favorite in the Scott household.