Chicken Avocado Boats
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4⅔ tablespoons paprika
- 4 avocados, halved
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar cheese
- sour cream, to taste
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook chicken until golden brown and cooked thoroughly, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Season chicken with lime juice and season chicken with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Remove pits from avocados and discard. Spoon chicken onto the avocado halves. Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream.
Make these adorable boats vegetarian by substituting cubed sweet potato or tofu for the chicken, and sautéeing in a skillet until browned and tender. You could also try a poached egg in place of the chicken for a Mexican-inspired breakfast!
What others are saying
Rachel Douglas says:
I thought this was a cool idea but instead of stuffing the avocado with cubed chicken, I used shredded chicken. This is one of my favorite lunch recipes. I also skipped the cheese, trying to stay dairy free!
Jen the Mighty says:
Where have these been all of my life??? I'm one of those millenials who will never be able to afford a house because I spend all of my money on avocados. I don't see that changing any time soon, especially now that I can make these crazy good avocado boats! YUM.
Tiana D. says:
I am tickled by how clever this recipe is. I never considered putting meat inside a whole avocado, but it's a great idea. I am on a primal diet and have a hard time finding something to partner my meat with and this is such a great idea. I threw bacon inside of mine too because... bacon!
Greg Jones says:
These chicken avocado boats were delicious. I used shredded chicken instead of cubed, and it turned out really good. It was full of spice and flavor, and accented the creamy avocado nicely.
Laura Griffin says:
I made these for a casual get together at my house and they were a huge hit! They're really delicious, and healthy at the same time. I love the seasonings used for the chicken, especially the cumin and lime juice. This is definitely one of my favorite, new dishes to make.