Spanish Chicken and Rice
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 2¼ cups chicken broth
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lemon, sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro to taste
- chopped fresh parsley to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together paprika, garlic powder, salt, cumin, chili powder, and oregano.
- Place chicken in a bowl; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and turn to coat. Season chicken with about half the prepared seasoning mix.
- Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook chicken until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Stir rice, chicken broth, lemon juice, and remaining seasoning mix together in the pan. Lay chicken atop the rice. Cover skillet and cook until liquid is absorbed, rice is tender, and chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish chicken with lemon slices, cilantro, and parsley to serve.
What others are saying
Anthony Cohen says:
Incredible spices and flavor. Especially with additional cumin and oregano. I used thin chicken breast filets, but next time will probably use thighs. I just feel that whenever I use breasts it's a little dry. Next time I want to make this in the pressure cooker.
Sarah Gray says:
Really delicious chicken, turned out great. I used diced chicken though, it's easier for me to cook that way when not baking the chicken.
Sam Dalton says:
I wasn't sure how this would turn out, cooking the rice in a skillet with chicken. But, to my surprise, it was amazing. It's mine and my wife's new favorite dish! The cumin and paprika together worked nicely, especially with the lemon.
Greg Jones says:
This chicken and rice recipe is very popular at my house. I love how everything cooks together in the pan. It smells amazing while it's cooking, and tastes even better when it's done. The cumin was perfect to get that authentic Spanish taste. I like to shred the chicken afterwards and add cilantro.
Laura Griffin says:
I definitely tasted all of the delicious spices in this chicken and rice dish. The paprika, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and oregano worked perfectly together. I used diced chicken instead of a whole breast, and it was juicy and tender. This is the easiest weeknight meal and not boring. I am adding this to my weekly rotation, and will probably meal prep next time!